Play is a situation where a person allows others to see them for who they truly are vs. who they wish to be seen as being. Being playful enables humanity to find its inner creativity, and using this creativity as a source of innovation for creating something valuable and enduring. The best entrepreneurs are those who are innovative and passionate about what they do.
This is the real secret of life – to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play – Alan W. Watts
Parents are the front line in teaching their children that being playful is a skill they need to retain for their entire lives. What do you think formal education will teach children? Of course – be serious first and only, and if you’re playful you’ll be what: Punished? So how do you make your children use playfulness as a source of creativity and innovation? Successful play has the following characteristics:
- Self-Chosen and Self-Directed
- Meaning your children control the activity.
- Intrinsically Motivated
- This means play itself is all the justification required. You don’t need a great purpose other than just playing to have fun.
- Leaves room for creativity
- Children are empowered to set their own rules giving them ownership.
- Is desirable
- Play has a purpose in mind and the “norms of behavior” of how the play will take place.
- Is Imaginative
- Everyone’s creativity is welcome but not always adopted.
- Players imagine what the outcomes might be and seek ways to make them a reality.
These 5 characterisitcs ensure children both have fun and develop important skills to innovate and follow their passion while playing.
To learn more about Raising Innovative Children visit university.ventureforge.co