Why bother with Intellectual Property (IP) when there is so much else to do?
Founder’s Point of View
- Theft prevention
- Protects the Firm’s most valuable assets using “The Rule of Law.”
- Signals quality.
- Facilitates access to financing and helps startups overcome the liabilities of newness.
- Boosts market share.
- 90 percent of the world’s smartphone makers license the same patented technology.
- Basis of billion dollars firms such as:
- Dropbox’s network folder synchronization patent.
- Zynga’s asynchronous challenge gaming patent.
- Square’s patented system and method for decoding swipe card signals.
- GoPro’s patented harness system for attaching a camera to a user, and of course.
- Google’s breathtakingly valuable original “PageRank patent.”
- Reduce legal time and costs securing Freedom to Operate opinions.
- Avoid distracting the Founder, and the leadership team, trying to secure the firm’s future.
- Frivolous litigation by competitors and third parties will consume limited resources better used elsewhere.
- A missing Intellectual Property strategy, or one poorly executed, diminishes the firm’s future potential by not anticipating market and customer needs to be protected.